Sometimes, Sundays are great for enjoying a cheat meal with friends or family; however, Sundays are also great to prime your body for a successful week in the gym. Keeping your nutrition clean on Sunday is a smart way to ensure that you wake up feeling healthy, lean, and strong on Monday morning and prepared to have a great week.
If you’re a sports fan like me, there’s nothing better than watching a Sunday sporting event with some deep-fried buffalo wings, a big dish of ranch, and a tall glass of your favorite beer. But if you’re actively working towards your fitness goals, or just looking to treat your body a little bit nicer on the weekends, there is an alternative to this classic game day meal.
If you have a head of cauliflower and a few other ingredients, you can make a healthy game day snack that’ll leave your taste buds satisfied, your body feeling great, and your diet intact. These healthy cauliflower wings are especially delicious dipped in a homemade healthy ranch dressing. Let’s get to it!
| Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (about one medium head)
- 1 cup superfine almond flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Buffalo sauce of your choosing (we like Frank’s RedHot)
- Prepare a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray and preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Cut your cauliflower into “wing-sized” pieces and set aside.
- Prepare your breading by mixing almond flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Transfer this mix to a gallon-sized bag.
- Crack two large eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- Dip cauliflower wings into egg wash, coating thoroughly. Then transfer egg-covered wings into gallon-sized bag with breading mixture.
- Shake bag, evenly coating the wings with the breading mixture.
- Place wings onto baking sheet and either spray or drizzle wings with olive oil.
- Insert wings into oven and bake at 400ºF for 20 minutes. Remove wings, flip, and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove wings from oven and toss in buffalo sauce, making sure all pieces are evenly coated.
- Reinsert wings into oven and bake an additional 3-5 minutes (if you prefer a crispier wing, broil your wings during this time and place them on the top-rack, turning the wings halfway through).
- Remove wings and let rest for several minutes.
| Low-Fat Ranch Dressing
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Passive Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Line a strainer with a paper towel, and place the strainer over a bowl.
- Place nonfat plain yogurt in strainer, and let drain and thicken in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Take strained yogurt off of paper towel, and place in a medium bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients (buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, and fresh chives) with the strained nonfat yogurt, and whisk until smooth.
- Add salt to taste.